Saris SuperClamp EX 4-Bike rack review
Editor’s Note: This review was updated on Feb. 14 to reflect a long-term review on the product after extensive use.
What is it
Mtbr has always been impressed by the quality of Saris bike racks that are made in the USA and come with a lifetime warranty. But functionality and appearance weren’t quite dialed with the SuperClamp that we tested in the past. With the new SuperClamp EX, however, they may have a best-in-class four-bike hitch rack on their hands.
This rack has been fascinating with its unrivaled utility and compactness. The 63 lbs has been a godsend for taking the rack on and off our vehicles. Comparable racks are about 100 lbs so they are heavy and dangerous for some to move by themselves. 63 lbs and almost half the size makes it manageable to lift and maneuver.
The other bonus is having it shorter means it does not lack rear visibility when it’s not in use and it is folded up. And when it’s in use, loaded with bikes, it’s easier to remove around parking lots. In lighter vehicles like our Subaru WRX, the shorter, fully loaded rack doesn’t affect steering and handling as much as other racks.
The downside of all this compactness is it can get tight in there when loading four bikes. Care has to be taken when loading to avoid damage and interference. Dropper posts help and we can’t imagine fitting all modern bikes with long handlebars without them.
- Very compact for a four-bike tray
- Sturdy for a 63-pound rack that can be moved around
- Tilts up and down with easy-to-reach lever
- Elevated rails avoid handlebar conflict even with wide bars
- Includes cable locks for extra security
- Strap option is good to have
- USA made with lifetime warranty
- Because arms are shared, second bike not as easy to put on
- $850 is a lot to spend
- Platform style hitch bike rack
- Carries 4 bikes (60 lb/bike in trays closest to vehicle; 35 lb/bike for second two trays)
- Two shepherd’s hooks hold bike by top of both wheels — does not touch the frame of the bike
- Adjustable arms and wheel trays fit almost any type of bicycle, including eBikes. Bike spacing accommodates widest combination of bicycles.
- Integrated locking cable to secure bikes to the rack
- Includes locking hitch pin to secure the rack to the hitch
- Tilting feature allows access to rear of vehicle, even when fully loaded, and folds up against car when not in use
- Features small profile for a 4-bike car rack
- Ratcheting arms pivot on case hardened brackets for superior strength
- Reflectors on outside wheel trays provide extra visibility in low light
- Bottle opener integrated into tilt handle
- For use with 2″ hitches only
- Rack weight: 63 pounds
- Rack fits wheelbase up to 48″
- Universal wheel trays accommodate a wide variety of bikes and wheel sizes, up to 4″ tires
- Price: $850
We believe this is a best in class four-bike tray rack, thus it earns the coveted Mtbr 5-star review.
Rating: 5 out of 5
More Info: www.saris.com