Video: Evil Wreckoning impressions
When we awarded the Enduro Bike of the Year last year to the Trek Slash 29er, a few were distraught that we did not get to try the Wreckoning. It was a contender, a few touted, so we made it our task to get to know the ‘Wreck’. We got one in-house and started riding it immediately. Not knowing how much it weighed and never having tried any Evil bike before, we just rode it. We took it on fire roads, boring trails, fun trails then aggressive terrain and even more gnarly terrain. The experience was eye-opening.
We talk about our experience with the Wreckoning.
The Wreckoning is interesting to say the least. It’s from a small brand in Seattle with recent hits like the Following and the Insurgent. The company has the most creative model names and there are no model designations or labels on any of their bikes. One can hardly tell the models apart or the bike travel beneath all that carbon fiber complexity of the rear triangle.
The Wreckoning is a true enigma as it is a full 160mm 29er. Most thought it could not be achieved effectively with such a big rear wheel, thus stopping at 150mm travel. But Evil did it. They also omitted the front derailleur and compatibility with Plus tires or tires bigger than 2.4. A chain guide is included by default and the seat post diameter is 34.9mm. These are some of the elements in the Wreckoning that are fairly unique.
Riding it has been a revelation and we have many plans for this bike. We’ll write a full analysis of our experience and compare it the Trek Slash 29er and other contenders. We’ll also build a project bike with the Push Elevensix shock and a no-holds barred build that is around 28 lbs.
Stay tuned and let us know about your experience with the Wreckoning or other Evil bikes.
- Available Sizes: Small, Medium, Large, XLarge
- Rear wheel Travel: 161mm
- Front wheel Travel: 160mm
- Rear Wheel Diameter: 29″
- Rear Shock: RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair, 216×63 (+2 Volume Spacers)
- Fork Axle to Crown: 571mm RockShox Lyrik 160mm fork
- Fork Offset: 51mm
- Headtube: Tapered 1 1/8″ – 1 1/2″
- Headset: FSA Integrated Tapered No. 58/68 Upper 44mm Lower 62mm Tapered OD
- Seatpost Diameter: 34.9mm
- Maximum Rear Tire Size: 29″ x 2.4″ (Varies By Brand)
- Bottom Bracket Shell: 73mm Threaded
- Chainline: 51mm
- Chainguide Mount: ISCG05
- Maximum Chainring Size: 36t Single Ring
- Rear Wheel Spacing: 148mm x 12mm
- Front Derailleur: None. Single Ring Only
- Brake Mount Type: Post Mount 180mm
- Maximum Rear Rotor Size: 203mm
- Frame Weight: 7.52 lbs for medium (with chain guide, headset cups and seatpost clamp)
- Bike Weight: 31.7 lbs ( medium, Eagle X01, stock build, 400 gram pedals)
- Price: $2899 frame only, $5399 X1 build, $6899 X01 Eagle build
For more information, visit www.evil-bikes.com.